September 15, 2013, MONTGOMERY, AL – Lucy Buffett of LuLu’s and Lucy B. Goode in Gulf Shores is being honored as a Retailer of the Year by The Alabama Retail Association in cooperation with the COLLAT School of Business at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
The group will honor 12 retail businesses as Retailers of the Year and one as a Centennial Retailer during the 2013 Alabama Retail Day Luncheon on Tuesday, Oct. 8, at The Club in Birmingham. Among those are Lucy Buffett of LuLu’s and Lucy B. Goode in Gulf Shores.
The October luncheon will mark the 32nd Annual Retail Day and the 14th presentation of the Retailer of the Year Awards since 1999 and the 11th presentation of the Centennial Retailer awards since 2002.
Rodney Barstein, chief operating officer of Simply Fashion Stores Ltd., will be luncheon keynote speaker. Birmingham-based Simply Fashion operates 250 stores in 22 states and employs 1,500 associates with 15 of those stores and more than 165 of those associates in Alabama.
A panel of judges with representatives from the media, chambers of commerce, former Retailers of the Year and the academic community chose the Retailers of the Year from a pool of deserving Alabama retailers who have demonstrated a blend of sound business practices with commitment to their communities, customers and employees. The level of the individual awards will be announced at the Oct. 8 awards luncheon.
The Retailer of the Year honorees* are:
• Jen Barnett, Freshfully, Birmingham
• Lucy Buffett, LuLu’s, Gulf Shores
• Jan Clevenger, Belk Inc., 22 stores in 19 Alabama cities, Western Division based in Birmingham
• Managers and Associates, Western Supermarkets – Mountain Brook
• Managers and Employees, Leaf & Petal, Mountain Brook, Birmingham and Vestavia Hills
• Mark McCutcheon, Golden Flake Snack Foods, Birmingham
• Dorothy McDaniel, Dorothy McDaniel’s Flower Market, Homewood
• Stacie Money, Fringe, Opelika and Auburn
• Marco and Elan Morosini, Silvertron Café, Birmingham
• Jeff Rosenthal, Hibbett Sports, Birmingham-based, 87 stores in 68 Alabama cities
• Van Sykes, Bob Sykes Bar B Q Restaurant, Bessemer
• Georgia Ziglar, Ziglar Inc., TroyThe Centennial Retailer is the Birmingham Barons, which is in its 129th year of existence.